What is a Bug-Out place?
The area I cover was developed as non-subdivisions of 36 acres or more. There are around 1,800 lots that were originally 36 acres or more in Juniper Mountain Ranches, Shadow Rock Ranch and Sierra Verde Ranch west of Seligman.
Much of this area is REMOTE. Seligman is a tiny town of less than 500 people. There are no supermarkets here. The closest cities with supermarkets, hospitals and other common resources are Flagstaff, Kingman and Prescott. Some lots may be as much as 40 miles from Seligman, much of which is accessible by miles of dirt road.
These properties, that I often refer to as “Bug-out Places” have varied uses including recreational activities like hunting, ATVing, camping, backpacking, horseback riding and four-wheeling. I did not mention fishing because there are no places to fish in the area.
There are also agricultural uses such as gardening, raising cattle, horses, goats and other livestock.
Here are some important questions to ask:
Is Electric Power Available?
- On-the-grid electric power (APS)
Don’t count on electric power — however, APS now helps with 750 feet free
Let me know if you want on-the-grid power, I can help!
- Solar — Lots of options for this. Get expert help!
- Motor generator — May be the way to go if you are not a full-time resident.
- Wind — sometimes it blows and sometimes it doesn’t!
What are the Sources for Water?
- Can I get a well? Read more here
Some areas have wells as shallow as 350 feet — Other Areas may be 1,200 ft. deep
- How much does a well cost?
send me an e-mail and I will get estimate for you
- How much does hauled water cost? Get a quote!
- Where do I get water to haul myself?
There is a well in Seligman, that runs on quarters
Shadow Rock Ranch has a GREAT community well
- Water catchment
What are the Roads Like?
- Main highways are Interstate Highway 40, Historic Highway 66
- Ft. Rock Road and Anvil Rock Road are partially paved
- Williamson Valley Road is Yavapai County Road 5 (county maintained but not paved)
- Mostly Dirt – some are rocky and rough, most have curves and are steep in some places
- Some roads have clay or soft loamy soil which tend to become boggy when wet
- Mostly unnamed and marked sometimes.
- Plan to get maps and plan to get an agent to assist in locating properties and corners
What types of Septic Systems are used?
- Conventional when there is sufficient soil with good drainage
- Perc (Percolation) test is done to determine the quality of the drainage
- Sometimes the deep (Yavapai County wants it to be 12 ft deep) hole required to do the perc test cannot be dug
- Alternate Systems are used when the soil is rocky or will not perc
Are there Lots with Improvements?
- Very few lots have been improved
- A few more have septic systems
- A few have camping trailers
- A few have manufactured homes
- A very few have site-built cabins
- There are even fewer luxurious site-built cabins